I’ve seen the Two-handed DPS Champion build being mentioned quite a bit so I decided to try it out for myself. This is arguably the easiest and most effective way to solo the game, although it does require you to be relatively high level (15+) to pull off.
As with most Dragon Age: Inquisition builds, the 2H Champion relies on one central skill interaction. That interaction is Walking Fortress, Flow of Battle, and Whirlwind. Flow of Battle reduces the cooldown of all your skills by 1 second whenever you score a critical hit.
So when you pair it up with Whirlwind (skill with the highest number of hits available to a warrior) and high critical strike chance, you can reduce your cooldown times so quickly that you can use Walking Fortress with very little downtime.
Since Walking Fortress gives you complete damage invulnerability for 8 seconds, you can imagine how strong this skill combination is, especially for soloing the game. The other skills you get are just icing on top of the cake.
Note: The most important requirement for this build is high critical strike chance; the more you crit, the more you reduce your cooldown times, which means the more you can use Walking Fortress.
The easiest way to increase your crit chance is to craft gear with leather or cloth offensive slots. Also, keep your eyes open for any dropped gear that either gives you Cunning or Crit Chance directly. Here are some particularly good item choices for raising your crit chance:
Superb Amulet of Cunning (Looted after completing the Dead Hand puzzle in Exalted Plains)
Mask of the Grand Duchess (Acquired at the end of the “Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts” quest, but only if you expose Florianne de Chalons publicly)
Ornate Battleaxe (Schematic – random drop from tier 3 chests) – this axe has 2 leather slots where you can use +Crit Chance materials
- Use Charging Bull to start fights, and whenever it’s not on cooldown – it’s great for damage, guard generation, and even CC
- follow up with War Cry to get even more guard
- Use Walking Fortress, and then immediately use Whirlwind
- Against bosses, use To the Death – this taunt increases the damage the enemy takes the longer its up, so this will allow you to solo powerful enemies quite effectively
- Use Mighty Blow as your main single-target DPS skill, especially for bosses
- Block and Slash is more of a filler skill, mostly when you’re fighting a group of enemies and your Whirlwind is on cooldown
- Fill your 8th skill slot with either Mark of the Rift, or pick up an extra skill from the Battlemaster tree
Points Spent: 20+
Two-Handed Weapon Tree: Block and Slash / Flow of Battle / Mighty Blow / Shield-Breaker / Whirlwind / Rising Winds / Clear a Path / Pommel Strike / Guard-Smasher
Champion Tree: All skills except “And No Further” (Line in the Sand upgrade) and Counterstrike
Vanguard Tree: War Cry / Charging Bull / Cutting Words
Optional: There’s a bunch of useful skills in the Battlemaster tree if you have points left over. You can pick up Combat Roll if you like to be able to dodge enemy attacks (especially useful against Dragons) and Horn of Valor for a 15% damage/armor boost.
Also, if you’re having stamina issues, consider picking up Clear a Path from the Two-hand tree, or Gore and Trample from Vanguard.